Saturday, February 15, 2014

Definition of Perfection

"Define your own success" is some of the best advice I've received.  I define my baking success several ways, but obtaining the optimal crust is high on my list.

The challenge is simple - how to get the most caramelization on the top without burning the bottom.
 These baguettes I've cranked the bake time (at 525 F) from 35 to 40 minutes.

 You can see the bottom here (seam is always down) - no char.
 For my boule I cranked the time from 45 minutes to 65.
As you can see the bottoms are perfect, thanks to a nice layer of fine cornmeal (and parchment paper) in the bottom of the dutch oven.

A few good articles to read (thanks Rob!):

And of-course the original no-knead article from 2006 that started the entire trend: Recipe: No-Knead Bread

Enjoy some bread!
   -Matt


No comments: