I've spent the last month experimenting with several variants of local sourdough yeasts that I've been able to culture. I'm running them through a series of A/B experiments to see which have the best taste and crumb properties.
Since Posterous shut-down I'm also trying to find a easy way to post my photos. You can always request to follow me on twitter.
So this past weekend I ran a experiment that for whatever reason hadn't occurred to me before. I mixed one batch with my normal mineral water mix (I like Pellegrino) and another batch with just distilled water. You can see the results above - the mineral water loaf is on the left and the distilled water loaf is on the right.
What you can't see is that the distilled water loaf took 150g additional flour to get to the right consistency, which really surprised me.
I'm going to try this experiment again this weekend to see if it was a fluke (or a mis-measure) or if there really might be something to this.
You may have noticed all my photos are gone. This is because the site I had been using for for the past 3 years (http://www.posterous.com/) has shut-down and now they've cleared out their image cache. I have all of the original images, I just need to re-upload and manually fix them (which is going to take a while).
If you are interested you can follow me on Twitter for weekly photos :)